Fuji Heavy Industries Applies to the FIA
SHOP ON-LINE AT
OPTICAL AND HEARING
18th August, 2005
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru cars, announced today that it would submit a homologation application to the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) for the finely tuned new Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C to rally as a Group N vehicle in 2006*.
To enter FIA-approved racing and rallying championships that take place around the world, cars must be homologated according to the FIA regulations. Group N (production cars) is one of the rally and off-road vehicle groups set forth by the FIA. Defined as large-scale series production touring cars, Group N homologation imposes strict limits on modifications to production models and is known as the category that best reflects the performance inherent to the basic production model.
The WRX STI spec C is very suitable for racing due to its lightened body and high performance engine. Therefore, the application embodies the company’s plan to position this model as a key competitor in motorsport activities for 2005 and beyond. Last year, Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C ”WR-Limited 2004” was applied for the FIA homologation.
FHI will produce more than 1,000 units of the Impreza WRX STI spec C during 2005, which is the minimum level of production required for Group N classification, and the company is planning to have the vehicle homologated before the 2006 rally season begins.
Major Features of the finely tuned new Impreza WRX STI spec C
- Compared to the Impreza WRX STI, Impreza WRX STI spec C is about 70 kilogrammes lighter through the adaptation of lighter glass, a boot lid composed of aluminium, and thinner roof construction.
- Reinforcing braces have been added to the front strut tower on the WRX STI spec C. In addition, the solid bars used to connect the front pillar and upper frame have been replaced by enhanced hollow bars and rigidity of chassis have been improved.
- A rear crossbar has been fitted to further improve body rigidity.
- The turbocharger in the Impreza WRX STI spec C uses precise ball bearings in the shaft to reduce friction, thereby offering a smooth and speedy turbo boost and providing ideal engine response.
- A large water reservoir for the intercooler water spray as well as an air-cooled engine oil cooler have been implemented to ensure stable engine performance.
* Applicable 17 inch tyre specification only
Some previous Subaru articles: