Chevrolet Cruze: next generation revealed
North America's 2016 Chevrolet Cruze
Recent new car releases ..... here
Upcoming new car releases ..... here
28th June, 2015
Chevrolet has revealed America's next generation Cruze – a larger and
lighter, more efficient and more sophisticated evolution of the brand’s best-selling car.
Packed with new technologies such as available Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and new active safety features, as well as
a more spacious interior and an aerodynamically optimised design, the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze elevates GM's compact car.
It will be offered in more than 40 global markets and goes on sale first in North America in early 2016. A new,
standard 1.4L turbocharged engine with direct injection has a maximum output of 113 kW. Stop/start technology helps
enhance the Cruze’s efficiency in stop-and-go driving.
The new turbo engine and a leaner architecture that reduces the vehicle weight by up to 113 kg also contribute to the
new Cruze’s stronger performance.
“The 2016 Cruze builds on a very successful programme that introduced Chevrolet to new customers the world over,”
said Alan Batey, president, General Motors North America. “We retained all the attributes that made the original Cruze a
hit around the globe and built on them to make this car more sophisticated, more fun and more Chevrolet.”
Vehicle highlights include:
- Next-generation Chevrolet MyLink with smartphone integration capability, including a standard seven-inch-diagonal
screen and available eight-inch-diagonal screen (at launch, eight-inch screen only with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- New 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection and stop/start technology matched with a standard six-speed manual or
available six-speed automatic transmission (North America)
- All-new, stronger and lighter body structure enhances agility, efficiency and safety – with an approximately 113 kg
lower kerb weight
- Class-leading 2,700 mm wheelbase enhances roominess, contributing to greater rear-seat legroom and more rear knee
- Projector headlamps with light-emitting diode (LED) signature lighting – and LED daytime running lamps on upper level
- Standard features (for North American market) include 10 air bags, four-wheel disc brakes, rear view camera and
available OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- New, available features including wireless phone charging, heated rear leather seats and heated, leather-wrapped
- Available advanced safety features include Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and
Forward Collision Alert
- New model range for North America including L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more expressive RS package.
“The new Cruze is truly one of Chevrolet’s most global vehicles,” said Batey. “With content variations
dictated mostly by local market demands, customers in every corner of the globe will enjoy the same fundamental dynamics
that are making Chevrolet one of the fastest-growing brands around the world.”
In 2017, Chevrolet will introduce a new diesel model for U.S. customers that builds on the success of the current
Cruze diesel model.
Wind tunnel-optimised design
The 2016 Cruze’s expressive design balances the designers’ inspiration and the efficiency-optimising input of wind
tunnel testing. The result is one of the sleekest-looking cars in the class, with a 0.29 coefficient of drag.
Proportionally, the new Cruze is 2.7 inches (68 mm) longer and nearly an inch (25 mm) shorter in height than the
current model, giving it a longer and leaner appearance. A steeper windshield rake and a steeper-sloping rear profile
lend a sportier look to the design, while the rear profile culminates in a standard integral rear spoiler that
contributes to the car’s aero efficiency.
The sleek profile is complemented by detailed, layered line work in the bonnet and body-side panels, contributing to
an overall impression of muscularity – with an athletic stance enhanced by a longer wheelbase.
“With styling influenced by the acclaimed 2014 Impala and all new Malibu, the 2016 Cruze brings Chevrolet’s new,
expressive global design language to the small car segment,” said John Cafaro, executive director, Chevrolet Design.
“The Cruze’s approach to proportion and premium details adds to Chevrolet’s elevation of craftsmanship, content,
quality and a fresh interpretation of an identity that is unmistakably Chevrolet in every market around the world.”
The headlamps sweep back into the front mudguards and an expressive, stacked dual-port grille design offers upscale
attention to detail. LT and Premier models feature premium forward lighting systems, including projector-beam headlamps
and LED signature daytime running lamps.
Additional design details include:
- The centre-rear stop lamp is mounted at the top of the roof line for a more refined appearance
- Seamless rocker panels convey upscale attention to detail and contribute to aerodynamic performance
- Polished aluminium, piano black and bright-finished accents provide a more contemporary aura to the design
- The RS package includes unique grilles, front and rear fascias, fog lamps, front splitter, rocker panels, rear
spoiler and 18-inch wheels on the Premier model.
Roomier, more-connected passenger space
With greater spaciousness and technology, the 2016 Cruze’s interior is designed to be more comfortable and a better
connected environment for the driver and passengers.
The greater spaciousness includes more rear legroom (917 mm) and more rear knee room (51 mm). Beyond the
quantifiable, there’s greater perceptual spaciousness in the new Cruze, driven by flowing line work in the instrument
panel, which blends almost seamlessly with the front door panels.
Like the exterior, the Cruze’s interior – and the instrument panel in particular – feature lean, muscular and layered
surfaces built around the Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit theme. It’s a thoroughly modern design that emphasises
human-technology interaction through the prominent, standard MyLink screen in the 'centre stack'.
A mixture of accents, from piano black and matt black finishes to bright trim, along with more premium features such
as available heated rear leather seats and wireless phone charging, complement the cabin with an ambience generally
reserved for mid-size sedans – but one that is becoming increasingly important to customers around the globe who want
premium amenities in smaller vehicles.
Additional interior features and amenities include:
- Unique centre console design for North America with specific user interface details such as a repositioned shifter,
more intuitive positioning of the cup holders and enhanced storage
- More soft-touch surfaces and animal-grained, micro-etched surfacing that enhance the premium look and feel of the
interior, as well as premium fabrics with French stitching, distinctive for its contrasting stitch colours. Premium
leather is available
- 4.2-inch-diagonal high-resolution driver information centre in the gauge cluster
- Premium features including heated front cloth seats, heated rear leather-trimmed seats, and heated and
leather-wrapped steering wheel.
Through smartphone integration, Cruze’s all-new Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system provides simple and intuitive use
of smartphones in the vehicle. It integrates certain phone functions onto the Cruze’s seven-inch-diagonal colour
touchscreen, allowing them to call up music, navigation apps and more. An uplevel MyLink radio with an eight-inch display
and navigation is available and also incorporates Apple CarPlay.
Apple CarPlay takes the iPhone features owners want to access while driving and puts them on the vehicle’s display in
a smart, simple manner. This allows drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music right from the
touchscreen or by voice via Siri. Apple CarPlay-supported apps include Phone, Messages, Maps, Music and compatible
third-party apps. Apple CarPlay is compatible with iOS 7.1 or higher.
Android Auto is built around Google Maps, Google Now and the ability to talk to Google, as well as a growing audio and
messaging app ecosystem that includes WhatsApp, Skype, Google Play Music, Spotify and podcast players. Android Auto
requires a phone running an Android Lollipop 5.0 operating system or higher.
Using both applications is simple. A “Projection” icon on the MyLink screen is visible when a phone is not connected,
then changes to indicate CarPlay or Android Auto when a compatible phone is connected via USB.
apply. Data plan rates apply.
Complementing MyLink to enhance Cruze’s connectivity is available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
Larger, lighter and more dynamic
An all-new, more rigid and lighter architecture is the 2016 Cruze’s foundation for driving dynamism, while also
playing significant roles in safety and efficiency. It is constructed of about 8-per cent hot-stamped/high-strength
steels, which contributes to an approximately 27-per cent stiffer body structure that is 24 kg lighter than the current
The lighter structure is also larger than the current model, with the new Cruze’s 2,700 mm wheelbase stretching a
little longer, while supporting front and rear suspensions with wide tracks. Aluminium is used strategically in the
suspension systems to optimise weight and handling characteristics.
“The Cruze’s chassis system is perhaps the most mass-efficient in the segment,” said Ron Arnesen, executive
chief engineer. “It is at the core of the car’s dynamic driving character, which is designed to deliver fun with an
enhanced feeling of connectivity.”
Additionally, the new, more rigid architecture is the primary enabler for exceptional chassis tuning, affording more
nimble and direct steering and handling attributes that foster driving confidence through precision. The longer wheelbase
and wide front and rear tracks further contribute to a lower, wide 'footprint', which enhances agility and the feeling of
control. Additional features include:
- A proven MacPherson strut front suspension design with specially tuned bushings and geometry intended to balance
handling with comfort
- A torsion beam rear axle on L, LS and LT models; and an enhanced Z-link design on Premier.
- Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models. It enhances efficiency because it removes the
conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories
- Four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife longer-life rotors are standard on all models
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control, with traction control, roll-over mitigation and anti-lock brakes, is
- Wheel sizes ranging from 15 to 18 inches.
Power-dense, efficient turbocharged powertrain
In North America, the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze is driven by an all-new, standard 1.4L turbocharged engine derived from
GM’s new line-up of small petrol engines. It features direct injection, stop/start technology and is matched with a
standard six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. Stop/start technology helps improve efficiency in
The new 1.4L turbo is SAE-certified at 153 horsepower (113 kW) and 177 lb-ft of torque (240 Nm). With more torque
than the current Cruze’s 1.4L turbo and a lighter architecture, the new turbocharged engine is expected to deliver
The 1.4L turbo features an aluminium cylinder block and head, which helps reduce the Cruze’s overall weight to
enhance performance and efficiency. Engine efficiency is also enhanced through reduced friction, including low-friction
piston rings, a low-friction camshaft drive and a low-friction oil pump.
The start/stop feature automatically shuts down the engine when the car comes to a stop under certain driving
conditions, such as a stoplight or 'drive-through' zones. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes his or
her foot off the brake.
Advanced safety features
The 2016 Cruze’s safety story begins with the new, stronger body structure that incorporates high-strength steel in
key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment.
Cruze also has 10 standard air bags (subject to market), including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof
rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted
side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags.
Available safety features include an expanded range of crash-avoidance technologies, including Side Blind Zone Alert,
Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Alert.
Additional safety features include:
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and roll-over sensing and protection system
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in
the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
- Tyre pressure monitoring system, daytime running lamps
- Automatic headlamps.
Stay tuned to Next Car for specification, price and release details of the next generation Holden Cruze in due
Specifications are subject to change without notice.