Hyundai Achieves Record Sales in May
Hyundai's latest model|
..... the i30cw
15th June, 2009
Hyundai Motor Company Australia’s dealer network has once
again achieved an outstanding sales result, producing the best May result ever for the brand since its
launch into the Australian market; selling 5,178 vehicles and achieving a 6.9% market share.
In a market that was down 19.2% (May YTD 2009 v. May YTD 2008), Hyundai was the only top ten brand that
posted a sales increase both for the month of May and the first five months of 2009 (vs. 2008).
- As in April, Hyundai ranked fifth overall in terms of YTD total sales.
- Hyundai’s May YTD market share was 6.3% with 22,073 vehicles sold, compared to 4.3% and 18,970 vehicles
- Hyundai’s overall market share increased from 4.4% in May 2008 to 6.9% in May 2009, the brand’s highest
monthly market share since December 2001.
- Hyundai realised sales increases of 32.4% (May 2009 v. May 2008) and 16.4% (May YTD 2009 v. May YTD
- Four Hyundai models attained double digit market shares in their respective segments for the month of
May (Getz 15.5%, i30 12.6%, Tucson 12.5% and iLoad 14.6%).
- The i30 range ranked third in the small car segment in May after posting its best ever sales result of
1,959 cars (including 348 new i30cw wagons), cementing a third placing YTD.
- The iLoad van range ranked second in the van segment after posting its best ever sales result of 321
vans and moving into second position YTD.
- As in April, Getz ranked second and Tucson ranked third in their respective segments.
- Hyundai ranked fifth in the passenger car segment, increasing from 6.2% in May 2008 to 9.0% market
share in May 2009 (the highest monthly passenger car market share since December 2001).
- Hyundai ranked fifth in the SUV segment increasing from 3.0% in May 2008 to 6.9% market share last
“May was a tremendous month for Hyundai” said Kevin McCann, Hyundai’s Director of Sales and