Discovery 4 - the most capable Land Rover ever
The 2010 Land Rover Discovery 4|
is expected in Australia in December 2009.
8th April, 2009
The new, fourth generation of Land Rover's supremely versatile seven-seat
vehicle gains a new name, Discovery 4, to go with its powerful and highly efficient new TDV6 diesel engine, fresh
exterior identity and more premium cabin. The model's class-leading breadth of capability is extended even further
with dynamic improvements, for both on-road and off-road driving, and the addition of user-friendly new technologies and
- Two new engines, a 3.0 litre twin turbo diesel and 5.0 litre V8 petrol, both providing greater performance with
improved fuel economy and reduced emissions,
- On-road dynamics transformed by comprehensive chassis system developments and a new super-smooth 6-speed adaptive
- Updates to Land Rover's award-winning Terrain ResponseTM system reinforce best-in-class all-terrain performance
- Fresh exterior design includes smoother new front end and revised lights, including LEDs
- All-new interior design delivers a more premium and functional seven-seat space
- User-friendly new features include surround camera system, gradient release, tow assist, high beam assist and
"The outgoing Discovery 3 has well over 100 international awards to its name. But we've found ways to improve
virtually every aspect of the vehicle's design and engineering - some subtle, some major. New design signals
comprehensive engineering change under the skin, and now gives us the Discovery 4," says Phil Popham, Land Rover
"The new interior not only has a much more premium look and feel, it's also gained improvement to its
functionality. The new console inclines towards the driver, the switchgear and controls fall more readily to hand,
and new LED Interior Mood Lighting in HSE models helps make the cabin a more pleasant and more easily used space
after dark. We've made the interior environment more premium too, with smoother surfaces, softer materials and
close attention to critical details such as stitching," says Gerry McGovern, Land Rover Design Director.
"The changes and upgrades for Discovery 4 transform many aspects of the previous generation, at the same
time as enhancing the flexibility and versatility for which Discovery is famous. It can carry huge loads in its
spacious interior, climb mountains, cruise across continents, haul trailers of up to 3.5 tonnes, or transport
seven family and friends in comfort. I can't think of a more versatile vehicle anywhere," says Phil Popham.
The new Discovery is packed with e-TERRAIN TECHNOLOGIES aimed at reducing fuel consumption and reducing CO2
emissions. Both the new 3.0 litre twin turbo diesel and 5.0 litre V8 direct injection petrol engine were designed
from the outset to deliver class-leading fuel economy and improved low-end torque.
e-TERRAIN TECHNOLOGIES in summary:
- Engine calibration optimised
- Lower engine idle speed
- Reduced torque-converter slip
- Higher torque, allowing longer gearing
- Intelligent Power System Management (IPSM) including smart regenerative charging
- Clutched air conditioning pump to reduce parasitic losses (Diesel only)
- Improved aerodynamics
The new generation Discovery 4 will go on sale in Australian late 4th quarter 2009, with pricing, specification
and model line-up, still to be confirmed.