First new MG in 15 years is close
MG 6 SE (red) and TSE (grey)
MG 6 TSE
MG 6 SE
MG 6 SE
MG 6 TSE
31st December, 2010
The MG 6 is the first all-new MG for the UK market
in 15 years and will lead the way to a whole new range of MG models in the coming years from MG
Motor UK in Birmingham.
It has been designed and engineered by a team based at the MG Birmingham site where final
assembly will also takes place.
MG Motor is owned by the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) which is the largest
automotive company in China. Incidentally, China overtook the USA in 2009 to become the largest car
market in the world when declining car sales in USA (due to the so-called Global Financial Crisis
attributed to certain 'dodgy' loan transactions in America's financial industry) hindered the
market together with the huge decline of General Motors which had endured its own financial
crisis long before the Global Financial Crisis surfaced.
Investment by SAIC in the Birmingham operation, which is the company’s first vehicle assembly
plant outside of China, has been solid. Recently a new MG Design Centre was opened. It sits
alongside the SAIC UK Technical Centre and, along with new engine testing facilities now being
built, this phase of the investment alone amounts at more than £5-million.
Style, power, handling
The fastback design provides a huge boot, which can be further extended by folding the rear
seats. Inside the car is a spacious five-seater with generous head and leg room. The supportive
seats add to the overall comfort and the standard levels of equipment are high. It will be
available in three trim levels: S, SE and the top-of-the-range TSE.
Power is provided by a 1.8-litre TCI Tech turbocharged, intercooled petrol engine which
develops 160 ps and is linked to a five-speed manual transmission. Top speed is limited to 120 mph
and the 0-62 mph figures is around 9 seconds (subject to confirmation).
But sheer speed has never been what MG is all about. Handling and driving dynamics have always
helped to distinguish MG from other marques, and the MG 6 is no exception. McPherson strut front
suspension, multi-link rear suspension and a brilliant chassis design gives the MG 6 a superbly
agile and supple ride.
On town roads the MG 6 is poised and comfortable, while on twisty, demanding roads its sporty
nature comes into its own. Stopping power is great too; the MG 6 has ABS brakes with EBD –
Electronic Brake force Distribution – as standard along with Dynamic Stability Control.
Quality and attention to detail make up the MG 6 package backed by a growing dealer network
across the UK. Delivery of the first cars to customers will begin during 2011.
Prices will be announced later but as a guide the MG 6 is expected to sell in the UK from
around £16,000 to £20,000.
Standard equipment – S
- Perimetric alarm and immobiliser system
- Driver, passenger and side airbags
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Halogen headlights
- Heated rear screen
- Body-coloured mirrors with in-built indicators
- 6-way adjustable driver sports seat
- 4-way adjustable passenger sports seat
- Driver and front passenger one-touch electric windows
- Rear ISOFIX child seat anchorage
- Rear electric windows
- Three-point rear seat belts
- One-press engine start button
- Electronic controlled air conditioning
- ICE: radio, RDS, CD MP3, USB and Aux-in capability
- Electric folding door mirrors
Additional standard features on SE
- Satellite navigation system
- Rear parking aid
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Cruise control
- ICE as per S but with Bluetooth®
Additional standard features on TSE
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Reverse parking aid with rear view camera
- Leather sports seats
- Driver and front passenger seat electrically adjustable
- One-touch operation of rear windows
- Automatic electronic dual zone climate control
- Satellite navigation system with full colour display
MG 6 will be available in solid black, red and white along with metallic silver, grey, blue and