Mitsubishi Motors Corporation launched the Lancer Evolution X high-performance
4WD sedan in Japan on Monday, 1st October, 2007. It's the newest of the company's legendary vehicles. Featuring
a new platform, engine, exterior and interior designs. Models fitted with the Twin Clutch SST transmission are
due to be launched towards the end of November.
The development goal for the new Lancer Evolution X was to make the car as fast as possible, while also making
it as safe to drive as possible. To that end Lancer Evolution X is loaded with the very latest in automotive
engineering technology, including the S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) vehicle dynamics control system and the
newly developed, power-efficient Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission). Lancer Evolution X is a new generation
high performance 4WD sedan that allows a new category of driver access to Mitsubishi's dynamic driving experience
by underpinning speed with control, security and safety.
Lancer Evolution X's handsome and aggressive functional design presents an intimidating and exciting aerodynamic
exterior suggestive of its superior road performance. This is complemented by a functional interior that encourages
the driver to concentrate fully on piloting his machine. Lancer Evolution X uses the front end design identity common
to all new Mitsubishi Motors sedans (inverted-slant nose with a trapezoidal grille design) first seen on the new
Galant Fortis (known as Lancer in export markets). As well as shouting loud the aggressive qualities that mark a high
performance sports sedan, the front fascia is crafted for optimum aerodynamic performance.
The Lancer Evolution X realises very high levels of motive and driving performance thanks to its new high-output
and lightweight 2.0-litre DOHC MIVEC turbocharged engine with aluminium block, an all-new body and stiffer suspension.
Despite its turbocharged pedigree the new model earns a 3-star rating for emissions that are 50% lower than the
requirements of the Japanese 2005 standards. And complementing its powerful and clean road performance is the kind of
a safety specification one would expect of a new-generation high-performance model: SRS dual-stage airbags for driver
and front passenger, SRS knee airbag for driver and adaptive front lighting system (AFS) are all standard equipment
on the GSR trim level.
The Twin Clutch SST is a 6-speed automated manual transmission incorporating a dual automated clutch system to deliver
lightning-fast, slick shifting for feel-good acceleration; while it also provides high-efficiency power transmission for
outstanding fuel economy. In keeping with the higher output and torque developed by the new engine, Lancer Evolution X is
offered with a new 5-speed manual transmission that delivers smoother shifting and improved shift feel for those who prefer
the joys and more direct control of manual shifting.
All Lancer Evolution X GSR models are fitted with the S-AWC vehicle dynamics control system. The system intelligently
manages several component systems to regulate drive torque and braking force at each wheel, reading and reflecting driver
intent in real time over a wide range of situations. This allows drivers of all abilities to enjoy sporty driving with
peace of mind.
Lancer Evolution X walkaround
Model line-up for Japan
Sporting the S-AWC and Twin Clutch SST and other cutting-edge automotive technology as well as a more comprehensive
functional and convenience equipment specification, the GSR trim level (also available with a 5-speed manual transmission)
leads the new Lancer Evolution X line-up. The line-up also continues to offer the RS competition base model, with a less
comprehensive and simplified equipment specification to reduce weight.
To meet customers' wide-ranging expectations in a high-performance sports sedan, the GSR trim level is available with the
following option packages:
|High Performance Package
||Raises the bar a notch further in terms of driving performance.|
|Stylish Exterior Package
||Adds classy dress-up elements to the exterior.|
|Leather Combination Interior
||For a more upmarket and comfortable interior.|
Also available is the Premium Package that combines all these packages and adds 18-inch BBS lightweight alloy wheels to meld the
ultimate in performance with a classy and quality appearance.
The exterior is crafted with sophisticated and aggressive styling to give the low-and-wide squat stance body an aerodynamically
clean profile that flows liquidly from the inverted-slant nose over the roof to the tail end, using wind-tunnel proven aero parts.
- Molded around the inverted-slant nose and trapezoidal grille, the aggressive and powerful front fascia features larger air intake
openings and new ducting for superior engine cooling and aerodynamics and leaves no doubt as to Lancer Evolution X's high performance.
- The engine bonnet air outlet and front guard vents effectively exhaust heat from the engine compartment. Together with the engine
bonnet air scoop that supplies cooling air to the turbocharger these elements give vivid accent to Evolution X's exterior looks.
- The oversize rear spoiler — standard on the GSR — uses a twisted-section wing panel with different attack angles at its ends and
in the centre portion to match the airflow over the body surface.
- A large undercover rectifies underbody airflow for better aerodynamics and also improves drivetrain cooling. The underside of the
rear bumper employs a diffuser design that helps to exhaust the underbody airflow more effectively and also adds a distinguishing touch
to the rear view.
- The Stylish Exterior Package option uses a chrome finish for the front grille lattice and beltline molding, body colour-keyed
vents and adds fog lamps to give the exterior a touch of 'uptown' elegance.
- The GSR trim level is offered in a line-up of five body colours designed to strongly project a functionally aesthetic image and
including a vividly sporty Red Metallic and a new classy and deep-hue Phantom Black Pearl. RS is offered in two body colours, including
White Solid which is exclusive to this trim level.
The interior design places emphasis on functional and operational elements to encourage and allow the driver to concentrate on
operating his/her machine while at the same time realising levels of comfort and quality that is expected in a new-generation sports
- Seats are done by Recaro — well-known for providing excellent location, hold and for alleviating fatigue on longer journeys — with
a new full bucket front seat design. The new seats offer additional safety, accommodating the factory-fitted optional SRS side airbag;
and comfort, with improved seating feeling, easier exit and entry and a less "constraining" feeling. The rear seats feature a central
armrest with handy cup holders.
- Lancer Evolution X uses a small diameter steering wheel designed for smooth operation; its genuine leather wrap provides a positive
and comfortable fitment to the hand. For optimum operability the S-AWC mode selector is located on the left spoke. (The selector is located
on the shift lever panel on models with the factory-fitted MMCS HDD navigation system option, in which case the steering wheel spokes are
used to locate the remote audio controls.)
- Lancer Evolution X uses a high-contrast instrumentation cluster providing excellent visibility. A Multi-information Display provides
the driver with at-a-glance vehicle status information, including: fuel remaining, Twin Clutch SST mode and S-AWC operating mode.
- The dashboard uses a bowed design with the centre panel offset toward the driver that provides more knee space and realises a
functional and comfortable cockpit environment for the driver.
- The black interior colour scheme uses silver accents on the steering wheel spokes, shift lever panel and other operating controls to
impart a look that is sporty and also evoke the feeling of a precision instrument.
- The Leather Combination Interior package uses leather combination seat upholstery (genuine leather with Glanluxe - an artificial
suede-finish leather made by Seiren Co., Ltd), doors and floor console lid trimmed in soft synthetic leather and aluminium front scuff
plates. The package also boosts sound insulation, making for a classier and more comfortable interior.
- Lancer Evolution X is powered by a new turbocharged engine that adds a high-performance turbocharger to the 4B11-type
2.0-litre 4-cylinder 16-valve DOHC MIVEC unit used in the Galant Fortis (Lancer). Developing more power over the full rev range, this
engine generates more torque at 422 Nm (43.0 kg-m)/3,500 rpm and has better response than its 4G63 predecessor. The new engine is also
lighter and returns better environmental performance.
- The application of continuously variable valve timing technology (MIVEC) to both intake and exhaust camshafts realises valve timing
optimally matched to engine speed and load to stabilise combustion characteristics and allow the engine to develop more power over the
full rev range. It also improves emissions performance. Lancer Evolution X< earns a 3-star rating for emissions that are 50% under the
Japanese 2005 Emissions Standards levels.
- The new engine, excluding auxiliary equipment, is 12 kg lighter than the 4G63 thanks to the use of a die-cast aluminium cylinder
block, head cover and chain case.
- Using a titanium-aluminium alloy turbine wheel and aluminium alloy compressor wheel, the turbocharger features a shape-optimised
compressor wheel that improves boost response and increases low-end and mid-range torque.
- The adoption of a rearward facing exhaust manifold layout has, as well as improving exhaust efficiency, allowed the engine to be
mounted lower, lowering the centre of gravity. Other innovations have reduced intake/exhaust system losses and valvetrain friction,
contributing to improved engine performance.
- The GSR is available with the new Twin Clutch SST 6-speed automated manual transmission that eliminates the need for a clutch
pedal and provides slick, smooth shifting. Twin Clutch SST puts odd (1st, 3rd, 5th) and even (2nd, 4th and 6th) gears on separate
input shafts each with its own clutch and, through tight cooperative control with the engine, switches between these clutches to
realise seamless and lightning-fast shifting for feel-good acceleration. Because it uses clutches rather than a torque converter
to transmit power, Twin Clutch SST allows superior power transmission efficiency with little loss of motive power and returns
excellent fuel economy. Twin Clutch SST allows the driver to choose between Autoshift fully automatic shifting and Manual Shift,
where the driver can change gears as with a manual transmission. A toggle switch located at the base of the shift selector allows
the driver to choose between Normal, Sport and Super Sport modes for the optimum shift scheduling for a wide variety of situations
ranging from driving around town to tracing a tight line on a winding road.
- Twin Clutch SST models are fitted as standard with steering column-mounted lightweight magnesium paddle shifters that allow the
driver to shift manually without taking his/her hand off the steering wheel.
- For drivers who enjoy having more direct control over their machine, the GSR is available with a new 5-speed manual transmission.
(The RS is only available with this manual gearbox.) Benefiting from the know-how Mitsubishi Motors has accumulated in the motor
sport arena the new manual gearbox features a greater torque capacity to handle the higher torque generated by the new turbocharged
engine without growing in size. First to fourth gears use close ratios. First gear uses a lower ratio than previously for better
standing acceleration while 5th gear uses a higher ratio for more comfortable high-speed cruising. The new transmission uses multi-cone
synchroniser rings on all gears for smoother shifting and a more positive shift feel as well as for improved durability.
- Lancer Evolution X's new platform achieves significant increases in body stiffness, with gains in torsional and flexural
stiffness of 40% and 60% respectively over Lancer Evolution IX MR. This results in better handling stability and crashworthiness,
as well as in improved ride and in reduced vibration and noise, to realise levels of quality and comfort that befit a new-generation
- Lancer Evolution X's wider track and longer wheelbase not only provide a more spacious living space but also bring improved
stability and ride. Other factors contributing to the new model's improved handling include its lower centre of gravity stemming from
the lower powertrain and better front/rear weight distribution resulting from the lower engine weight, a front overhang that is 20 mm
shorter than on the Lancer Evolution IX MR and the transfer of the battery to the boot.
- To reduce weight and lower the centre of gravity, aluminium is used in the roof panel, front guards and the rear spoiler frame
- While based on the MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension arrangement used on previous models in the series,
Lancer Evolution X features a revamped suspension layout with wider tracks and 18-inch tyres. Geometry optimisation and greater
stiffness in the mountings maximises the contact patch and allows S-AWC to perform to its full potential as well as bringing
improved straight line stability, cornering and ride.
- GSR comes standard with 245/40R18 wide and low-aspect tyres on 18-inch Enkei 12-spoke high-rigidity cast alloy wheels.
Eighteen inch BBS lightweight alloy wheels are also available as a factory-fitted option for GSR and add a distinctive custom touch
with a lustre finish.
- GSR comes standard with Brembo 18-inch front and 17-inch rear ventilated disc brakes. The increased disc size improves stopping
power and fade resistance as well as improving brake pedal feel.
- The factory-fitted High Performance Package comprises the Bilstein single tube shock absorbers and Eibach coil springs used
on Lancer Evolution IX MR. It also includes Brembo 2-piece disc brakes that realise a saving of 1.3 kg at each wheel and high
performance tyres with stiffer walls and better grip. This package brings further improvements in grip, steering response,
stability and cornering.
4WD system (S-AWC)
- The GSR trim level comes with Mitsubishi Motors' own 4WD vehicle dynamics control system S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control)
standard. For Lancer Evolution X, Active Stability Control (ASC) has been added to the ACD*2, AYC*3 and Sport
ABS*4 component systems featured in previous Lancer Evolution. S-AWC uses integrated management of these systems to exert
high-precision control on drive torque and brake force at each wheel to enhance cornering and stability under all conditions from
everyday driving to emergency evasion; thereby producing vehicle behaviour that faithfully reflects driver intent. S-AWC offers
three operating modes — TARMAC for dry, paved surfaces; GRAVEL for wet or unmade surfaces and SNOW for snow covered surfaces —
allowing the driver to select the mode best suited to current road surface conditions and realise greater stability.
||ACD (Active Centre Differential)|
The Active Centre Differential uses an
electronically-controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch to optimise front/rear wheel torque split and thereby produce the best balance
between traction and steering response.
||AYC (Active Yaw Control)|
AYC uses a torque transfer mechanism in the rear differential to
control rear wheel torque differential for different driving conditions and so limit the yaw moment that acts on the vehicle body and
thus enhance cornering performance. AYC now features yaw rate feedback control using a yaw rate sensor to more accurately determine the
cornering dynamics on a real-time basis. And the addition of braking force control allows the system to realise vehicle behaviour that
more closely mirrors driver intent.
||Sport ABS (Sport Anti-lock Brake System)|
ABS allows the driver to maintain directional
control and keeps the vehicle stable by preventing the wheels from locking under heavy braking or when braking on slippery surfaces.
The addition of yaw rate sensors and brake pressure sensors to the Sport ABS system has improved braking performance through
||Active Stability Control (ASC)|
The ASC system stabilises vehicle attitude while maintaining
optimum traction by regulating engine power and the braking force at each wheel. ASC elevates vehicle stability by suppressing skidding
in an emergency evasion manoeuvre or as the result of other sudden steering inputs. It also improves traction under acceleration by
preventing the driving wheels from spinning on slippery surfaces.
- Standard on GSR are driver and front passenger SRS dual-stage airbags (driver dual-stage airbag standard on RS), the inflation
pressure of which is controlled to match the severity of the impact and the driver SRS knee airbag used on the Delica D:5 and Galant
Fortis (Lancer). SRS side and curtain airbags are available as factory-fitted options.
- GSR comes standard with discharge headlights and the adaptive front lighting system (AFS), in which auxiliary lights turn in the
same direction as the steering wheel to increase the area of road illuminated and improve driver visibility at night.
- Rain-sensitive auto wipers that adjust wipe speed and interval to rain intensity and auto light control that monitors the
intensity of peripheral light, turning the headlights on or off accordingly, are factory-fitted options on the GSR.
- All models come standard with an engine immobiliser and security alarm to deter theft. (The security alarm is standard on the GSR
- The GSR trim level is available with the Mitsubishi Motors Communication System (MMCS) as a factory-fitted option which comprises a
30 Gb hard disc drive audio/navigation system with 7-inch LCD screen.
- Available as a factory-fitted option on the GSR is the Rockford Fosgate premium sound system — well received on the Outlander and
other models. The system uses a 650-Watt amplifier and nine speakers to deliver high-fidelity sound assisted by the use of acoustic
and damping material to seal off openings inside the doors and turn them into speaker boxes.
- Available as a factory-fitted option on the GSR is a keyless operating system that allows the driver to lock or unlock the doors
and to start or stop the engine without having to take the remote unit out of pocket or handbag.
- Standard on all models is the Mitsubishi Motors ETACS (Electric Time and Alarm Control System) system. The system controls the
operating environment for the Comfort Flasher — a dab on the flasher stalk causes the turn signal to flash three times; very handy
when changing lanes — and the headlight auto-off feature which prevents accidental drainage of the battery and other electronic systems
fitted to Lancer Evolution X.
The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X is presently on show at the 2007 Sydney Motor Show. Local specifications will be announced in due course.
The Australian release of this iconic sports sedan is scheduled for early 2008. Be ready for a queue when this model is released!
The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX was the "Top Drive For 2006". You can read about it here. Stay tuned for our
drive report on the new Lancer Evo X!