Subaru Impreza WRX Bites Back
10th December, 2008
Subaru’s Impreza WRX All-Wheel Drive performance car has put the boot in for model year 2009, adding power, torque and a raft of
Subaru has unleashed sedan variants to complement the new generation hatch – and both body styles share the same turbocharged
The 2.5 litre turbocharged engine now produces 195 Kilowatts of power at 6,000 rpm and 343 Newtonmetres of torque at 4,000 rpm.
While Impreza WRX is meaner, it’s also greener - lower fuel consumption and emissions result from the engineering refinement.
Fuel consumption is improved in the combined cycle from 10.7 l/100km to 10.4 l/100 km, while carbon dioxide emissions are down from
252 grammes/kilometre to 247 g/km.
Among the highlights, Impreza WRX offers:
- 0-100 km/h time improved from 5.8 seconds (MY08) to 5.31 seconds
- 26 Kilowatts more power
- 23 Newtonmetres more torque
- Increased boost
- Enhanced suspension package - sharper handling
- Better fuel efficiency (combined cycle/ADR 81/01)
- Carbon dioxide emissions reduced
- Options of leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation
- New mesh grille, with WRX badges
- Distinctive red brake calipers
- Wider tyres
- Red stitch seating and steering wheel adds to sporty appearance
- WRX logos on front seats
- Pricing maintained at MY08 levels – simple choice between hatch or sedan, as prices identical
Nick Senior, Managing Director, Subaru Australia, said: "Controlled aggression sums up the MY09 Impreza WRX – it performs better
across the board, from power and torque to carbon footprint, which is a major engineering achievement."
"New generation Impreza WRX hatch opened up a whole new stream of customers for us."
"Now the introduction of the sedan, combined with a raft of enhancements, gives us the opportunity to take the WRX profile to a whole
Mr. Senior said the new generation Impreza range is a winner across the board, with sales up 7.0 per cent to the end of October.
"We’ve had amazing customer acceptance of new generation Impreza, and early indications since the introduction of sedan variants in
September are that it’s going from strength to strength."
"Our safety message combined with a fun driving experience, durability, excellent whole-of-life costs and resale value, continue to
attract new customers to Subaru."
Model Year 2009 Impreza WRX is on sale now.
Red stitching is added to Impreza WRX seats and steering wheels and the WRX logo features on front seats.
For the first time, the car is available with the options of leather with sunroof, satellite navigation or the combination of leather,
sunroof and SatNav.
A 60/40 split/fold rear seat optimises cargo carrying options.
Impreza WRX sports a variety of exterior changes, producing a bold new look.
Wider Dunlop SP Sport 01 225/45R17 tyres combine with a new mesh grille and WRX badges front and rear, for added visual distinction.
Impreza WRX sedan features a boot lid spoiler and the hatch a rear roofline spoiler.
Red brake calipers differentiate WRX from other Impreza variants.
Obsidian black pearl, Satin white pearl, Spark silver metallic, Dark grey metallic, Lightning red and WR blue mica.
Impreza WRX’s 2.5 litre turbocharged engine now produces 195 kW of power at 6,000 rpm, up 15.4 per cent, and 343 Nm of torque at 4,000
rpm, up 7.2 per cent.
Maximum turbocharger boost is increased from 78 kPa to 92 kPa.
A revised exhaust system provides a 30 per cent reduction in gas flow restriction, to match the turbo charger performance and increase
The changes have produced a quicker car:
Test date: 20th and 21st October, 2008
Location: Eastern Creek Drag Strip, NSW: straight line acceleration
Marulan Driver Training Centre, NSW: lap times
Ambient temperature: 17 – 19 oC
Drivers: Cody Crocker, Dean Herridge
Timing Engineers: Quarter Mile: Eastern Creek Drag Strip operators
Lap Times & straight Line acceleration km/h:
Subaru Australia Engineer, using ‘V box’
Vehicles: MY08 Impreza WRX hatch
MY09 Impreza WRX hatch
Test Conditions: One occupant, standard tyre pressures, straight line acceleration, quarter tank of fuel.
Lap times: full fuel tank, factory vehicle specification and minimum option weight.
MY08 Impreza WRX
MY09 Impreza WRX
Standing quarter mile (s)
Quarter mile terminal speed (km/h)
0 to 100 km/h (s)
5th gear; 80 -112 km/h
5.05 (-0.48s, 8.7% imp)
5th gear; 80 –120 km/h
6.35 (-0.60s, 8.7% Imp)
5th gear; 80 –140 km/h
9.68 (-1.54s, 13.8% Imp)
4th gear; 80 -140 km/h
6.72 (-1.24s, 15.6% Imp)
3rd gear; 60 -100 km/h
3.26 (-0.49s, 13.1% Imp)
Lap time (one km)
Fuel efficiency also benefits from the engineering refinements:
Fuel consumption Litres/100 km
Impreza MY08 hatch
Impreza MY09 sedan & hatch
Significant testing was conducted in Australia and Japan to tune suspension settings for local conditions.
MY09 Impreza WRX is biased towards sports handling, while retaining good ride comfort, grip and stability when driven enthusiastically.
The coil springs, stabilisers and top mounts are stiffened and roll rigidity increased to improve maximum lateral G and turning ability.
Fine tuning of the damping forces in the shock absorbers provides linear response with minimal delay when steering.
Improved shift feel is achieved in the transmission through use of a ball type key for the first and second gear synchro hubs and a change
to the key groove on third and fourth synchro sleeve.
Hardened materials are used for the main shaft and first driven gear, while operation of the clutch slave cylinder now incorporates an
orifice valve to protect the drivetrain during rapid clutch engagement.
A damper valve is added to the steering gearbox to reduce kickback, particularly when cornering on rough roads.
Wheels and tyres
Wheels and tyres were chosen to complement the suspension springs, damping and bushing, to ensure optimum grip and ride comfort.
The tyres also optimise the balance of dry and wet weather grip, steering response, NVH levels and ride comfort.
Tyre width is increased to 225/45 from 205/50, benefitting grip and handling performance, to match the sports suspension setting.
MY09 Impreza WRX is fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 01 225/45R17 tyres and 17 x 7 JJ alloy wheels.
In line with Subaru’s safety commitment, Impreza WRX sedan maintains the five-star rating for occupant safety from the independent
Australasian New Car Assessment Programme (ANCAP).
All Imprezas also share a four-star rating for pedestrian safety.
Since the introduction of model year 2009 Liberty and Outback in October, every Subaru now has standard electronic stability control.
New Impreza WRX model specifications at a glance:
- ABS anti-lock brakes with four-wheel discs and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist
- Child seat anchor points
- Curtain airbags – full length
- Dual front airbags
- Dual side airbags
- Four wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear)
- Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters. Double pretensioners on driver’s seatbelt
- Front adjustable seatbelt anchorage
- Hill Start Assist
- Rear door child lock
- Seatbelt indicator lights – front seats
- Shock absorbing brake and clutch pedals
- Side intrusion bars
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Three-point A/ELR rear centre seatbelt
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (electronic stability control system)
- AM/FM radio, six-stack in-dash CD, MP3/WMA compatible, 10 speakers
- AUX jack
- Bottle holders in each door + two cup holders in centre console
- Boot/cargo area light
- Cargo hooks (hatch only)
- Cargo security blind (hatch)
- Central locking - remote
- Climate control air conditioning
- Cruise control – steering wheel buttons
- Driver’s footrest
- Height and reach adjustable steering column
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Immobiliser security system
- Leather trim steering wheel with red stitching and audio controls; leather gearshift
- Map lights (2)
- Power steering, mirrors and windows
- Rear illumination electroluminescent instrument display
- Remote fuel lid release – tethered fuel cap
- Seatback pocket (passenger side)
- Sports bucket front seats with red stitching and WRX logo
- Two remote central locking keys
- Vanity mirror
- 60/40 split/fold rear seat
- 12V/120W power jacks
- Colour-coded mirrors and door handles
- Double locking system
- Front fog lights
- Headlights auto off
- Mesh grille
- Privacy glass
- Rear diffuser
- Rear roof spoiler with LED brake light (hatch)
- Rear roof mounted radio antenna
- Rear wiper (hatch)
- Self-levelling Xenon headlights with pop-up washers
- Sports body kit
- Tail pipe cover
- WRX badges – grille and boot/hatch
- 17-inch alloy wheels – space saver spare
- Alarm system
- Auto hatch/boot unlock on key
- DataDot security technology
- Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Rear Limited Slip Differential
- Three year Roadside Assist
- Three-year unlimited kilometre warranty
- 2.5 litre turbocharged engine. 195 kW/6,000 rpm, 343 Nm/4,000 rpm
- Leather trim with sunroof
- Satellite navigation. (This option removes in-dash six-CD, replaced by a single DVD/CD).
- SatNav with leather trim and sunroof
MY09 Impreza WRX Recommended Retail Prices
These prices do not include dealer and the various statutory charges imposed by State/Territory governments.
Impreza WRX sedan and hatch $39,990
Impreza WRX sedan and hatch with leather trim and sunroof $42,490
Impreza WRX sedan and hatch with Sat Nav $42,980
Impreza WRX sedan and hatch with Sat Nav, leather and sunroof $45,480.
MY09 Impreza WRX highlights:
- Faster 0-100 km/h
- 15.4 per cent more power
- 7.2 per cent more torque
- Better fuel efficiency
- Carbon dioxide emissions reduced
- Increased boost
- Enhanced suspension package - sharper, more aggressive handling
- Leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation options
- New mesh grille
- WRX badges front and rear
- Distinctive red brake calipers
- Wider tyres
- Red stitch seating and WRX logo on front seats adds to sporty appearance
Pricing maintained at MY08 levels – simple choice between hatch or sedan, as the prices are identical.
More Subaru News